Woodstove Changeout Program
The 2019 Woodstove Changeout Program is now active. Combined rebates of up to $700 are available on a first-come, first-served basis until rebate funds run out.
Receive a $250 rebate for changing to a cleaner burning wood stove- CSA B415.1 or EPA approved
Receive a $400 rebate for changing to a natural gas, propane or pellet stove - a natural gas fireplace can get an additional $300 FortisBC rebate if eligible - see Natural Gas Fireplaces
You must have an existing wood burning appliance (or a non-EPA insert installed in an open hearth fireplace) that does not conform to CSA B415.1 standards (typically an appliance built and installed before 1994).
Appliances eligible for the rebate:
- A free-standing, non-EPA certified "stove", a homemade or barrel stove
- A so-called "airtight" non-EPA certified fireplace insert or tube-type heat exchanger with a face plate and door (like the Free Heat Machine or Welenco) that is currently installed in an open hearth fireplace
- A non-EPA certified "wood furnace" (ducted, forced air, home heating appliance) - may only be replaced by an EPA certified wood furnace or pellet furnace
- A wood burning cook stove
Appliances NOT eligible for the rebate:
- Electric stoves or fireplaces (replacement electric inserts are allowed)
- Factory built (“zero clearance”) fireplaces
- Wood cook stoves - Cook stoves are EPA exempt therefore are not covered by this program
- Outdoor appliances (replacement unit must be installed in an area with 4 walls, ceiling and a door)
- Tin heaters/tent stoves - something NOT used in a residential application
How to Apply
Contact us to seek advice on the type of low-emission heating appliance to purchase. Upon purchase of your new appliance you will be given a rebate voucher. This form will need to be signed by us at the time of sale and installation, and by the Nanaimo Recycling Exchange staff or RDN landfill or transfer station staff when the old unit is sent in for recycling. Be aware that most insurance companies require notification if you are installing a new heating appliance. The value of the rebates cannot exceed the value of the appliance.
Your old stove must be taken to one of the authorized disposal locations to be recycled (whether by you or the installer). Upon disposal, your voucher will be signed OR you will be given a receipt, which will provide proof of destruction. This receipt should be attached to your signed rebate voucher.
Drop off your completed rebate form and the before and after images of the woodstove to the front counter at 411 Dunsmuir Street.
Phone: (250) 754-8280
Web Design by Friday Design
Copyright 2021 by Sebco Gas. All Rights Reserved.